BOLD : strong, wicked, naughty, audacious, sure, shameless, courageous, fearless, rash, mighty, striking, petulant, brave, confident, vivacious, spirited, insolent, cheeky, hardy, sassy, determined, plucky…………
Welcome to the BOLD Blog: We aim to provide you with the latest art news at bold, whether its new art arrivals, new artists, the latest BOLD news, upcoming events, BOLD art (corporate art), Artist tips & techniques, or general art market information from around the world. We would like to hear your point of view, your expectations of art, your comments on particular pieces of art, artists etc... So don't be Shy, be Bold!

07 March 2009

New Arrival - Graham Knuttel

"I do not explain my work, rather my work explains me.”

“My figures appear in an urban landscape of which I am part. I try to use colour and form to express the emotion of my figures. I have recently developed this to include portraiture which I find exhilarating. I prefer a nightmare world full of shadows where danger and savagery is always close to hand. My own doubts and fears and hopes are expressed on the faces that appear in the bars and backrooms in my work”.

As colour and form are such central elements of Graham’s work the still-life works very well for him. It's potential for simplicity and invention and its deep roots in tradition bring Graham back to his student studies of Cezanne and Picasso.

He is a prolific worker, spending up to 15 hours in his studio every day. Knuttel has now emerged as a celebrated painter with a rapidly growing international reputation. His lifestyle could be considered eccentric and in recent years he has become reclusive and attaches great importance to his private life. Graham also holds the accolade of being voted worst-dressed man in Ireland 2006!

“Above all I try to speak with my own voice and see with my own eyes.”

Collectors include Michael Stipe, Sylvester Stallone, Charles Saatchi, Bertie Aherne, Christy Moore and Eddie Irvine. His works hangs everywhere from UCD to the World Trade Centre to Harvey Nichols.

No comments: